I’ve been wanting to get to grips with the Google Maps application for sometime because the geographer in me recognises it not only as a useful tool, but a spatial data godsend. I’ve been using Google Earth for sometime, but Google Maps lets you do some cool stuff. After trying a few different plugins that utilise the Google Maps API, I’ve decided to use Avi Alkalays version to develop the Singletrack Magarchive website.
I’ve long recognised that my previous method of illustrating the various locations of Singletrack’s route guides had limitations. The largest being the poor spatial resolution a fairly big marker on a smallish map had. Google Maps gets around that with its use of scalable vector data and geocoded tags. Better still each of the marker point tags can be customised to include images and hyper links.
This means that every time you click on one of the markers in the new route guide section you get the details of the route and a link to the magazine page in the archive. I’ve added in the Singletrack Office location too. I’m hoping that this new approach will also solve the second concern I had – In places like Calderdale and the Peak and Lake Districts, some of the points were so close together that they were quite off the mark. I’m pleased with the end result and will be applying this to some websites at work.
There’s a few things I’d like to be able to tweak, least not being able to number each of the marker points rather than just have a black dot in them. I’ll have to get to grips with the Mapplets documentation first, but I think it’s do-able. Here’s a quick demo: